January 30, 2012

Wipe out!

This whole scooter thing didn't exactly go according to plan. Yesterday was fine. I even drove the scooter all the way to the city. I met my friend Megan at Rimping (the grocery store close to school) and followed her to a fantastic restaurant called The Salad Concept. We sat there for awhile, I ate a delicious caesar salad and had a berry smoothie. Afterwards I drove home, all alone, on my bike. I was so proud of myself, as dorky as that may sound.

But then this morning happened. I decided to leave for work at 7. To give myself enough time to pace myself when riding to school on my own. I left before Kyle, my roommate, even woke up. Everything was going so well, until I came upon a u-turn type deal under a bridge, that gets me going back towards where I came but on the other side of the street so I can turn into the school parking lot. (Side note: there are barriers in the middle of the roads here, so often you have to pass where you are going and do a u-turn at a break in the barrier for turns, or at a light) So as I was going around the bend, I took it a little too wide, I think I was trying not to block cars if they wanted to pass me, and my tire hit the edge of gravel on the side of the road and I ended up skidding my bike sideways across the road a little bit. The truck behind me slammed on their brakes (thankfully) and ended up being a teacher from the school, Janet. She got out of her car to see if I was okay, as I got myself up and tried to start moving my bike. She asked if I worked at NIS and said she was a teacher there too. She told me she'd just move her truck out of the way and then come help me. At first I was in pain but felt fine, I moved my bike over to the side of the road. Then the shock set in and I could feel the colour drain from my face as I fell to the ground. I felt like I was going to throw up or faint... or both. Janet came over to help me.

Next thing I knew I saw a white car pull over too and my friends (other teachers as well) Anna and Lynn were running over. All I can remember was everyone trying to decide who would drive what in order to get us and the vehicles all up the road to school. They settled on Janet taking my bike, Lynn driving Janet's truck and Anna drive her and Lynn's car. After sitting for awhile I had felt less dizzy so I stood up, only to have to hold onto the rail as I felt like I'd fall over again. Lynn held onto me as they attempted to walk me to the truck to put me in. On the way I blacked out and walked into the back of one of the vehicles, not sure which one as I vaguely recall it all. I believe at this point I fainted and fell to the ground. At some point Megan was driving by and stopped on her bike when she saw us all. Eventually they got me into the passenger side of the truck and we headed to the school.

Lynn took me straight to the nurse and told her what happened. Anna and Janet followed and brought my bag and keys and told me to not worry about class as I had a prep to start. Then they left and Megan and Erin showed up. Megan stayed with me, as everyone had classes to get to soon. The nurse cleaned any scratches I had, and bandaged my palm of my hand and toe. She tried to roll up my pants to see any leg injuries but I had on some skinny pants that just wouldn't roll. I said my knee hurt but I wasn't bleeding so it was fine. I thought my thumb was broken as it hurt the most and I couldn't move it, but she didn't listen and grabbed it to bandage the minor cut on it. That stung more than all of it. Then she proceeded to tensor bandage my ankle, for what reason I am not sure. But I couldn't be bothered to ask.

As soon as everything was clean and bandaged, I went up to my classroom. By then I think the whole school knew what happened to me. Everyone I passed asked if I was okay. By this point, other than the pain from the scratches and bruises, and the bruise to my ego, I felt fine. I no longer felt like I was going to throw up or faint, which was fantastic. I was a little pissed that my pedicure I got like a week ago was  completely ruined, but at least my new shirt and my only pair of pants I have here did not sustain any ripping or tearing. Life wasn't total shit. I was urged to go home, but for once in my life I didn't feel like being a princess about it. I sucked it up and went to my class. I taught all my classes, and tried not to hobble around too much to make my muscles stiff.

I wasn't sure if I was going to ride the bike home after, but I knew if my all my limbs I needed to use were working that I should. I didn't want to be scared of the bike. So after school Kyle and I left at the same time on our own bikes and headed out for dinner, then we headed home. I felt fine riding it after school. I had no problems really, other than the thumb that is all banged up I need to turn on the signal and it hurts like a bitch every time I use it. Other than that, the drive was fine. I think it'll be a little more scary in the morning driving around that bend, but I will just go slow and I know I will be fine.
My bruised up calf, my hip (road rash) and my fuct up foot

My knees, my palm (road rash) and my knuckle and thumb (hard to see the bruising on my thumb in pictures).

All in all, I am fine. I will heal. And it could've been worse. I was a little embarrassed at school since everyone found out. But it seems many people do this at least once so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. My class felt so bad for me, they were really cute. I emailed my mum right away, and she didn't freak out. I know I probably have her worrying now though. Same with Ryan. But I am okay :) and I will not make that mistake again. Good thing mechanic type work is cheap here. A few scratches and a loose mirror to fix now. But like I said, could be worse :) I am not going to feel sorry for myself. I really just want to heal and get swimming in that pool every day after school!

Tomorrow I am going to the Rimping markets (was supposed to go today but decided to postpone to tomorrow due to my injuries) with Megan. I am excited. I love all the markets here. I want to buy everything all the time. So much cute stuff. That's all for my excitement of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment