February 06, 2012

flat tires are super lame

As for the rest of my weekend, it had its ups and downs. Saturday morning we had to be up early to go into the school and participate in International Day. All the teachers had to sign up to lead groups representing different countries. My students wanted me to do Italy with them, and I got Kyle and Leah to come in the group with me as well. I ended up leading the group pretty much, organizing the meetings, handling the money we were giving to buy things such as food, and all that. Thankfully the students took the reigns, getting their parents to make the food and getting all the work done over lunch periods leading up to it. I even showed up Saturday morning and the booth was fully decorated; they had done after school on Friday. I was dreading being at the school, but once there I had a lot of fun. All the elementary students performed the song "We are the World" and there were performances by lots of students representative of the country they chose. So many great performances. My favourite was my student Katie who sang Someone like You by Adele. It gave me goosebumps. She always sings in my class, and though she has a lovely voice I have to remind her that it is Language Arts and not music. She was phenomenal. The best part was all the delicious food. I tried lots of stuff from the different booths. Indian was my favourite, the samosas were delicious.
Poster Boards for Italy

My students in their Italy jerseys holding the flag

Scotland Booth

Indian Food. Yum.

Adorable child playing with the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Rice Ball - Japanese

Face Painting

My student in his Korean attire

Korean girl with Italian flag painted face in Thailand ;)

Some students from my class :)

After the morning ended, a few of us went to a bar close to school for a few beers. I was wiped and needed a nap. Headed home to get some rest, ended up skyping with a cute drunk boy, and having a power nap. Wish I had a longer nap, but preferred the Skype chat more. At about 630, Kyle left to go pick up Leah and head to Duke's for Megan's bday dinner, and I left shortly after to head straight to Duke's. As I turned off our street on to the 121, I felt the bike was off. I kept driving a bit but it was very wobbly so I pulled over. I called Leah and told her. I said I would try again and call her back. I tried another 20 seconds and pulled over again. I called her back and her and Kyle came to my rescue. Leah tried my bike and then stopped and noticed the flat tire. So because I am not a seasoned driver yet, Leah road my bike slowly back to my house, and Kyle took me. Then we left it there and went threesies on Kyle's bike to dinner. After dinner, we headed to North Gate Jazz (the bar the guy from the band Megan and I talked to the night before owned). We stayed there for a drink (well everyone else drank, as most know I don't participate in that all that much) and then headed to Zoe in Yellow and the reggae bar. I love this place, mostly cause there are like a cluster of bars on a little street that you can walk between with your drinks and they are each different. After some dancing and fun, we headed home somewhere around 2am.
Sunday was awful. I woke up in a mood. I wanted to fix my bike but had no way to get to a mechanic cause Kyle was out all day and the bike rental place didn't even answer their phone. I wanted to go to the pool with Megan like I had planned, but my bike was my priority and I didn't even get it fixed. When Kyle got home he said no mechanics were open anyways. Should've got Megan to pick me up and went to the pool. Oh well. So to get out of the house, I tagged along with Kyle to the night markets and it cheered me up. Between the delicious banana pancake roll with chocolate and the amazing back and shoulder massage for 60 baht (like $2 CAD), I was happy. Not to mention the cute things I bought for cheap too. I love markets too much. 

Mmmm banana pancake roll.

Could've fallen asleep after this.

New notebooks <3

New FakeBans (or fake Raybans)
So today I went into school with Kyle, and on the way home we stopped at the mechanic to see what they could do about my bike. We told them I had a flat tire and couldn't drive it there, and even showed them a picture. So they had two guys follow us on their own bike, with a side cage, to our house not too far away. They took my bike in their side cage. Now Kyle and I asked what time we could pick it up and how much. He didn't really really understand but he said 6. And they left. Next thing I knew, at 5:50pm, I heard them drive into the driveway. I went downstairs and they had brought it back for me too. All fixed up. And it costed me 180 baht ($5.80 CAD). Never would anything ever cost that little at home, or be that good of service. Needless to say, it made the awful situation seem like it wasn't as awful as it could've been. Let's hope this is the last time I have a problem with my bike. Though everyone here has their share of bike problems, I swear it's not just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment