February 25, 2012

Observation #2: Road Rules DO NOT Apply

Driving in Thailand is quite interesting and different. And I do not just mean cause I am not driving in a car, and I am now driving a scooter. It seems as though the rules for driving are just 'guidelines' really. To be honest, I am not even sure what the rules are, or even what the speed limit is on any road. But it doesn't really seem to matter.

The speed limit may be posted. But I haven't even noticed if it is. You will have people going really slow (mostly bikes, or cars if there is traffic or if they are trucks with things piled high on the back) and people speeding through (also mostly bikes weaving through traffic and going between cars). Then you have people going what feels like is probably the proper speed limit. I choose to go as fast or slow as the traffic around me for the most part, going slower on u-turns, turns and bends, due to my accident around a bend and the desire not to repeat it. The best part about it all is, I couldn't even tell you how fast I go, as my speedometer on my rented scooter is broken. Good thing it has no relevance to driving here anyways.

Most roads here in Chiang Mai have one, two or three regular lanes, and then a paved shoulder or a bike lane up the left hand side (they drive on the left like the aussies and such). Now, there are signs posted for bikes to stay to the left and for the most part many do, depending on traffic and speed. I choose to stay to the left hand side of the lane that is farthest left, not the shoulder. The shoulder is often bumpier and sometimes has sand or rocks on it. Many accidents are due to accelerating on sand. No thank you. I am a vehicle and I choose to go in a proper lane and cars and such can easily just go around me. It is not as though they would ever not just go in the right lane, into oncoming traffic, to get around anyone else going too slow for their liking (even around bends when most would think it was dangerous). Bikes/Scooters seem to be allowed to drive wherever on the road they choose, and drive between vehicles stopped at a light, just to get to the front. At a red light you will see a line of bikes/scooters, then cars, and perhaps some scooters scattered between the first few cars at the light too.

Many of the roads here have dividers between the right and left lanes. Because of this, one must often go past their destination, to a designated U-turn and turn around and go back towards where they came from. This also causes many to do u-turns at the light, which they will do whether the light is green, red or yellow. I am not sure they even have 'no U-turn' signs here, but I imagine if they do, no one reads them anyways.

Red lights, one would think this means stop. Which it does, I think. But alas, if there are no other cars around, it is merely treated as a stop sign (mostly at night). Or if there is a green light for traffic that does not cross paths with you (aka the opposite traffic coming straight with no right hand turns) and a red light for you, people choose to stay to the left but go through the light. What baffles me is that this happens quite often at a certain light I travel through to get to work, where there seems to be a traffic cop stationed at a little hut. Not really quite sure what the point of him is, perhaps he is not a traffic cop at all.

Another little tidbit; signals seem to be optional. Bikes/scooters weave through traffic without signals for the most part. Many cars/bikes do not even put their four ways or signals on when parked at the side of the road at night (also why I choose to stay away from the shoulder of the road for the most part). Also I have noticed many people forget their signal is on when riding a bike, cause you have to turn it off yourself on a bike/scooter. I am guilty of leaving mine on a couple times, in fact I am pretty sure I had it on for a bit today.

Parking is quite random here. Scooters and bikes seem to be allowed to park pretty much wherever they please.; on sidewalks, pathways, in front of stores, in between cars, etc. I am not sure what a no parking sign looks like here because people park everywhere. Anywhere a curb is smooth and allows for one to drive up it, someone will park if they need to park.

I am sure there is a lot more to be said about driving in Thailand. Perhaps I will do another post with more on the subject in the future. But that was just my two cents for now. Aside from my minor accident at the start, I feel as though I am adjusting to the traffic. You just have to have your wits about you and always be aware of the cars around you. You never know what they are going to do.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like Dominican Republic driving...it's absolutely nuts there!! I didn't feel safe at all.

    I'm glad you feel somewhat safe driving though because that would be awful if you didn't!

    ReplyDelete