March 01, 2012

Doi Pui & Doi Suthep

I haven't updated due to a lack of motivation to type anything this week. It's been a busy week of marking and writing up comments for the student's mid-term reports. But this will be a short post to quickly update on what's been going on, mostly pictures though.

So last weekend, on the Saturday, I went with Megan and her two friends on a day trip to Doi Pui and Doi Suthep, not too far from here. We met at a central meeting point and decided to catch a songthaew (share-taxi) to take us 4 up to both places. We bargained with the first guy, he didn't budge much on price, wanting 1000 baht to take all of us up. We wanted to pay 600. Eventually after walking along the street and talking to a couple more we found one to take us for 700 baht altogether (approx. $22 CAD).

Once we got into the songthaew, there was another woman in there. Turned out she was from Ukraine, and Megan's friends both previously lived there and spoke Ukrainian. She was planning on meeting her friend and going to the zoo (which was on the way to where we were going) but decided to convince her friend and come along with us once we got there. Her friend agreed, and we made a deal with the driver to now take the 6 of us for 900 baht ($29CAD).

We first went to Doi Pui Mong Village, which was a little market village that had some stalls with the typical things you see at Thai markets, but for a little cheaper. I bought my niece the cutest little Thai outfit (could've bought a lot more for her) and my sister and her girlfriend something too. We wandered through the village and ended up in the garden area. It was beautiful. Megan and I had a small photoshoot then made our way back to start. We stopped off for an iced mocha near the entrance and waited for everyone else.

Wanted to buy this guy from the market

Sipping on my iced mocha by the village sign

In the garden in Doi Pui

Where we bought our iced mochas. This sign made me laugh.

Doi Pui

Garden Photoshoot

After Doi Pui, the driver took us to Doi Suthep. There we had to walk up a bunch of steps of a mountain to get to a pretty sweet temple. We wandered around the temple, taking in all the amazing things. A monk even talked to me, asked me where I was from. I wish I spoke to him longer. I later saw him on the steps while we were walking back down and took a picture with him. He was very friendly. For some reason, monks make me smile. I know that sounds weird. But every time I see one here (which is like every day), I just smile. Maybe it's a reminder of how lucky I am to be in such a wonderful Buddhist country, or maybe I am just crazy. Alas, after the temple adventure, we headed back and had some lunch once we were back at our bikes. Salad concept is a delicious fresh salad restaurant, with terrible service. They always take forever to get the check, but the food and smoothies are delicious.

Me at the temple

Monks all walking up the steps

Me and my new monk friend

Monks hanging out, taking pictures

Me behind a big bell at the temple

Love these lil monks everywhere

Cute kids on the steps up to the temple

They were everywhere

Me at the temple

Lady at the temple

Monks and their umbrellas at the bottom of the steps

Little girls dancing at the temple

Inside the centre of the temple

My monk friend after he talked to me
Other than that day trip, things have been fairly low key. But some exciting news, my two friends from Australia, Nick and Nicole, are coming to visit me here, it is official. They booked their flights. They arrive in Chiang Mai on April 1st. I am off for Songkran (Thai New Year) on April 5th at noon. So we are going to fly to Phuket that evening, along with my friend Megan. From there we will take a ferry to Koh Phi Phi the next day, spend a few days there. Then take a ferry to Koh Lanta and spend a few days there. Then Nicole and Nick will have to take a ferry to Phuket and fly back to Australia from there. Meanwhile, Megan and I will continue our island hopping and take a bus/ferry combination to get over to Koh Samui. We will spend 3 nights there, and take a ferry to Koh Tao. After 3 nights there, we will take a ferry to Koh Phangan. From there we will take a ferry to the mainland in Surat Thani, and catch a plane back up to Chiang Mai. I am pretty excited. April is looking to be an exciting month! Cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment