March 27, 2012

Who Needs a Big Toenail Anyways?

Those of you who know me, know that I am somewhat of a klutz--accident prone if you will. So today while helping my friend Megan out, we left our bikes parked at a side street and went and did what we needed.

When we came back, someone had put the underneath kickstand thing down on my scooter, which lifts it up and keeps it from moving too. In order to get this down you have to roll it forward. Well my bike had one wheel on a lower ledge off the cement and the back wheel on the cement. As I rolled it forward, my pigeon toes on my left foot were underneath somehow.

This may not have caused such a problem, if it had not been for my actual accident that had messaged my toe up already. I was waiting on my toenail to grow out and off, as it had a new nail growing in underneath. Well my bike ripped up my old nail and the new nail, which was stuck on my dried blood from the original accident. All that was left was the nails hanging on by the side. And blood pouring out. I was in shock at first. Said 'ow'. Then told Megab blood was pouring. I dropped to the ground and began to bawl like a baby.

Thankfully a couple Thai people from the shop right beside saw and brought me something to clean up some blood. Thankfully Megan hauled a songthaew and people helped me into it. I dripped blood everywhere I am sure. The hospital wasn't far. The drivers even got out and helped me out. The security got me a wheel chair and they wheeled me in.

After having just about everyone come look at my bloody toe, Megan filled out my info and the guy tried to lift the hanging toenail. It hurt like hell. So they eventually took me in and paired some stuff on my toe that numbed it. He then cut the hanging nail off my toe. Then he poured other stuff on to disinfect and clean it up. Asked me when my last tetanus shot was, gave me one anyways. Then bandaged my toe up.

After it was all good, they gave me antibiotics and some pain meds. Told me to come to hospital everyday to clean and rebandage the wound (I will probably just go to the school nurse). And not to get it wet until it heals. This is the worst part, as I go to the islands, the beach, in 9 days. Heal quick!

They sent me on my way and now I an at home, in bed. Feeling bad that I have made my family and friends worry about me once again. Thankfully I will be fine. Someone needs to wrap me in bubble wrap though for real.


My bandaged toe and my blood on the ground. That is only a bit of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh man that is brutal - hopefully it doesn't ruin your beach time and other travels. I sliced my finger tip off cutting a tomato (note: don't talk on the phone while cutting tomatoes!) the day before going to Switzerland a few years ago... and I probably should've gotten stitches but I just let the blood harden. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but now I have a sweet scar!

    ReplyDelete